As a supervisor, you begin managing an employee’s performance from day one. A good orientation with clear expectations, appropriate training and the coaching that is part of follow-up, the performance conversations, and the more formal performance review—these are all part of managing employee performance. Spend your time understanding the nuts and bolts of your interactions with employees. Develop practical skills you can begin using immediately.
- You will recognize that good employee management starts with good leadership
- You can make a difference in employee orientation to make certain they get the best start possible in your department
- You will understand the basics of training and coaching employees for high performance
- You will have strategies for confronting employees who are not performing well
- You will feel more comfortable having “performance conversations”, from giving feedback to conducting performance reviews